Screen Australia’s Documentary Development Fund
Grant amount: up to $30,000 AUD
Screen Australia’s Documentary Development program primarily supports one-off and series documentaries, including online and VR. This could include:
- Further research
- Writing the next draft of a script or treatment
- Strategic shooting and/or editing to attract marketplace finance for the next stage of development or production; or compiling a sizzle reel.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis via Screen Australia's Application Portal. Applicants may apply for any amount up to $30,000.
All applications for direct funding must attach a director and writer who are Australian citizens or residents.
In addition:For one-off or series documentaries intended for significant audience reach such as a recognised Commissioning Platform or commercial theatrical release:
Individuals or teams must have a key creative with at least two ‘eligible credits’ in the role of producer and/or director. An ‘eligible credit’ under this strand must be a documentary project that is 30 minutes or longer in duration, and has:
- been broadcast by a recognised broadcaster or Commissioning Platform, or
- had a commercial theatrical release, or
- been invited to screen at IDFA, Hot Docs or equivalent.For online or VR documentaries intended for public access on a screen based device:
Individuals or teams must have a key creative with at least one ‘eligible credit’ on a comparable project in the role of producer and/or director. An ‘eligible credit’ under this strand is an online or VR documentary project that has been publically released:
- on a commercially recognised platform, or
- been viewed by a significant audience, or
- been invited to screen at IDFA, Hot Docs or equivalent.
Less experienced practitioners may be part of the team, as long as at least one key principal is eligible as above. The intention is not to exclude new talent, but encourage them to team up with more experienced practitioners.
For more information and to apply:https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/funding-and-support/documentary/development/documentary-development>