Freelance Video Production:
15 Ways To Make Money
With Your Video Camera
Bust out the camcorder... time to make some cash!
There has never been a better time to be in freelance video production!
Video is hugely popular, especially web video, and everyone needs a great video to tell their story.
With the relatively low cost of video production equipment, you can start making money right away.
15 Ways to Make Money with Video:
- Events – From sports events to theater performances to concerts, there is a seemingly never-ending number of opportunities for freelance video production jobs in this area.
- Weddings – With approximately 2.5 million weddings in the United States each year, with an average of $29,000 spent on each wedding, this is an obvious place to start for freelance video production work. Learn wedding videography from start to finish with Joanna Silber.
- Educational/Training Videos - These jobs require a higher level of skill and include videos for government agencies, non-profits, universities or businesses. Learn how to make a mini-documentary.
- Real Estate Videos– The real estate community is desperate for visual images that show their properties in the best light for their customers.
- Legal Videos – From dispositions to “day in the life documentaries” to video wills and settlement documentaries, this is a whole specialty with numerous possibilities.
- Stock Footage – Online video has busted this industry wide open. Anyone can now upload their footage and sell it on the Internet on such sites as Pond5 and iStock.
- Funerals – This idea may sound strange, but with the aging baby boomer generation, this is a growing niche worth exploring. Families are looking for someone to not only document the funeral, but to produce a “living memory” video to remember their loved one.
- Video Resumes – For professionals such as actors, public speakers, musicians, singers, sales people, etc. a video resume is a valuable tool to help them get hired for their next gig.
- Book Promos – Nearly 300,000 new books are published in the United States each year (source: Wikipedia) and authors are increasingly in need of compelling book promos as part of their marketing plan.
- Business Videos – Almost every business needs great videos on their website promoting their products or services. Shoot videos that sell.
- Video Transfer/Duplication – Many families and businesses have old film reels or video on outdated formats that need to be brought into the 21st Century.
- Specialty Video – Aerial footage, music videos, timelapse, underwater and extreme sports footage are just to name a few. You can build an entire business around one of these areas.
- Documentaries/Movies – This is the holy grail of freelance video production. This involves a huge commitment of time and has the potential to generate a significant income if you can learn the basics of documentary fundraising.
- Shooting “fake” Celebrities – This is a total play to the ego. Put your big cameras and big lights to use “following” someone or a group who wants to appear important. Post a free ad on Craigslist to find customers.
- “How To” Videos – This is the ultimate in residual income. Create your own info product on a certain subject (gardening, pet training, etc) and sell the video as a stand-alone video or as part of an online video series. Learn more about how to make money with online courses at Udemy.com.
Those are just a few ideas to get you started making money with your video camera.
Want more ideas? Sign up for our 7-Day Documentary Crash Course and get a FREE 3-Day Bonus Course "How To Make Money With Video and Documentaries". Sign-up here!
What did you think of this article? Share your comments below.
Filmmaking Tools Quick Links
Return Home from Freelance Video Production
Ready To Make Your Dream Documentary?
Sign up for our exclusive 7-day crash course and learn step-by-step how to make a documentary from idea to completed film!